Listen to Act 1 of “If You Don’t Have Anything Nice to Say…” (podcast version, bleeped version available here) OR “What Happened When I Confronted My Cruelest Troll” (article version)
Use one or more of these questions as a jumping off point in your blog post (unless you wrote your post before seeing this).
- What is your response to these discussions of online trolling?
- Should trolls be protected under the First Amendment (freedom of speech) or should there be limits?
- How do you, as an individual, beat a troll?
- How do we, as a culture, beat trolls?
- If you were to add a section to “Digital Ethics” on how to respond to trollish behavior, what main points would you include?
Review the following articles. If you were adding a section to “Digital Ethics” about responding to trolls, what would that section say?
- Twitter’s response to trolls: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/28/twitter-anti-trolling-measures.html
- Hollywood is Losing the Battle to Online Trolls: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-is-losing-battle-online-trolls-992582
- “Trolls Are Winning the Internet, Technologists Say” https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/03/guys-its-time-for-some-troll-theory/521046/